Public Safety FAQs

Leaf Collection Ending

Leaf collection will be ending between December 1st-7th depending on your scheduled rubbish collection day. Find your end date here.

Q: How to obtain a copy of a police report / accident report?
A: Copies of accident reports can be obtained by going to
Copies of other types of police reports are obtained from the Records Department, Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 5p.m. The cost is $5 for initial report and $1 per additional page. Ext. 1201.

Q: What should you do if you see a crime occurring?
A: Call 911 immediately.
Be observant and make mental notes, including asking yourself:

  • Are there any weapons involved?
  • What is the address?
  • Are there any physical characteristics such as height, weight, race, beard or scars?
  • Can you give any clothing description?
  • How many people are involved?
  • Are the persons involved on foot or in a vehicle?

Q: Do I have to give my name when I call 911?
A: If you wish to remain anonymous or keep information confidential, just tell the operator.

Q: How do I sign up for NIXLE?
A: Registered at: or simply text your ZIP CODE to 888777 for SMS notifications.

Q: What is Kind Call?
A: Contact the Department of Public Safety for "Kind Call," a daily contact program for the elderly and/or the infirm. For more information about this program, contact the Public Safety Department at 313-885-2100.

Q: Is there a curfew for minors?
A: Yes, for ages 15 & 16 curfew is 11:00 pm. 14 & under curfew is 10:00 pm.

Q: Alarm Licenses
A: Alarm licenses are available at the Public Safety Department. Contact Kristen Bigham at 885-2100 ext. 1201 for fee schedule and set up information.

Q: What steps are required for purchasing a handgun as a resident?
A: Michigan residents who are 21 years of age can purchase a pistol from a Federal Firearm Licensed (FFL) dealer without obtaining a License to Purchase (LTP) from the Grosse Pointe Farms Public Safety Department.

An individual who is at least 18 years of age can purchase a firearm from an individual but, must first apply for a LTP from the Grosse Pointe Farms Public Safety Department.

When purchasing a firearm from a dealer, all the paperwork will be completed on site. If the dealer approves the purchase, the Michigan State Police (MSP) and the Agency copy of the sales record must be returned to the Grosse Pointe Farms Public Safety Department within 10 days from the date of sale.

You are no required to bring the firearm to the GPFDPS for an inspection.

For further questions about purchasing or firearms laws please visit

Q: I need my fingerprints taken for a job, what are the steps and costs to have this done?
A: Fingerprinting for non-criminal clearances is provided to Grosse Pointe Farms residents through the detective bureau by appointment only. There will be a service charge from $5 to $60 per fingerprint card. Please call (313)-885-22100 Ext. 1212/1213.

Q: How do I report streetlight outages?
A: Contact DTE directly at the following link:

Q: Can I park in the street when a snow emergency is declared?
A: During a snow emergency, no on-street parking will be allowed except in cases in which there is no driveway provided to a specific private property. All violators are subject to ticketing and/or towing of their vehicles

Q: Power Equipment operational hours?
A: Power equipment hours of operation. Noisy equipment (large power tools, construction equipment) is limited to the hours of 7:00am to 9:00pm (or dusk) whichever is earlier. Monday thru Saturday throughout the year.

Q: Should I notify the public safety department if I am leaving my house for an extended period of time?
A: Yes! If you are leaving for a vacation please contact the police department so that you can be added to our "Vacation Watch List". Providing emergency contact information, light timer information, key holder names, and when you are returning will help us greatly should we have to respond to your residence when you are away.

Q: Does the department have a child safety seat technician:
A: Yes, An officer is available to residents of Grosse Pointe Farms who request a child safety seat inspection. The one-on-one education of a safety check usually takes 30-40 minutes, depending on the car seat and the vehicle. The CSST should take all the time necessary to ensure that you feel competent and confident in re-securing the car seat into the vehicle and re-buckling your child into its car seat on your own.

Q: Bicycle Licenses
A: Bicycle licenses help police return stolen or lost bicycles. They can be purchased at the Police Department desk for $2.00

Q: Group Facility, Apparatus and Equipment Tours?
A: Contact Traffic Safety Officer Steve Puckett or on duty supervisor to arrange a tour time and date. (313) 885-2100. Ext 1247.

Q: Speakers Bureau?
A: Need a speaker for special event or meeting? Contact Director Daniel V. Jensen to arrange a date, time and topic. The Director will then secure a member of the department to fit the topic. (313) 885-2100

Q: How to I schedule a Block Party?
A: To arrange for a neighborhood block party please make a request atleast two weeks prior to the event date.  A maximum of four parties are allowed on a single weekend. There are no block parties allowed on Halloween.  Contact Kristen Bigham at ex. 1201 for more information.

Q: Personal Residential Vehicle Speed Studies?
A: To analyze vehicle's speeds on your own and on your own block, contact Traffic Bureau Officer Frank Zielinski. Frank will provide you with a radar gun; the required training and forms - help us to help you. (313) 885-2100. Ext. 1015.

Q: Emergency Support Unit?
A: Looking for membership in an organization which gives back to our community, contact Liaison Officer, Detective John Walko. The unit provides crowd and traffic control assistance at special events, crime scenes and fire scenes. The unit meets and trains monthly. (313) 885-2100. Ext. 1212.

Q: State Salvage Vehicle Inspections?
A: The Public Safety department is one of a very few police agencies in the tri-county area to provide salvage vehicle inspections. To arrange for an appointment and obtain cost information, contact Public Safety Officer Geoffrey McQueen at (313) 885-2100. Ext. 1018.

Q: Implementation of Convenience Parking Restrictions (75% Resident Concurrency Policy)
A: Since 1972, the Public Safety Department with the concurrence of the Grosse Pointe Farms City Council has implemented a quality of residential living policy, which when public safety is not a factor, permits residents to implement or remove parking restrictions (e.g., no parking, no parking 4 AM to 8 AM, etc., on one or both sides of any given block), when 75% of the affected area residents concur. The 75% factor is established by counting residences (not residents), on both sides of any given block and includes corner homes, regardless of the block they face.

Q: What kind of fire extinguisher should I buy for my home?
A: Homeowners should buy an extinguisher that can handle Class A-B-C fires. This type of extinguisher is designed to extinguish fires that usually occur in homes including wood, paper, flammable liquids, and electrical fires.

Q: Do I need to put a smoke detector in every room? How many do I need?
A: Smoke detectors should be inside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. On floors without bedrooms, detectors should be installed in or near living areas such as dens, living rooms, or family rooms. Remember to test the detectors regularly!

Q: Why do Firefighters break windows and chop holes in the roof at a fire?
A: Firefighters ventilate (chop holes in a roof and break windows) to remove the blazing heat, smoke, and toxic gases.

Q: Why do Firefighters chop holes in walls/roofs?
A: The process of chopping holes in walls is necessary to expose hidden fires inside the walls. Dangerous superheated gases need to be ventilated to allow firefighters to safely and quickly rescue trapped occupants and extinguish the fire. By venting the window of a room that's on fire, it actually helps to contain the fire to the room of origin. Otherwise heated gases spread throughout the inside of a structure. Breaking a window really prevents more damage than it appears to cause.

Q: What do I do when I see an emergency vehicle approaching when I am driving?
A: Motorists should pull their vehicles safely to the right when an emergency vehicle is approaching. It is not recommended to stop in the middle of the road or proceed through an intersection against the signals. Remember to safely pull to the right.

Q: What does it mean when my smoke alarm chirps?
A: The smoke alarm will chirp when it's time to replace the battery. We encourage residents to change the smoke alarm battery when they change their clocks for Daylight Saving time in the spring and fall each year.