Beautification Commission Meeting Minutes
April 16, 2013 | Beautification Advisory Commission
Present on Roll Call: Lev Wood, Kendra Bickford, Alec Buchanan, Elizabeth Cleland, Claudine Fets, Lynn Gross, Andy Llewellyn, Susan Tait.
Also Present: Shane L. Reeside, City Manager; Pamela J. Baker, Exec. Assistant/Deputy City Clerk.
Chairman Wood presided at the Meeting.
The Minutes of March 19, 2013 were approved as submitted.
The Chairman advised the Commissioners that Jim Farquhar needs the flower order as soon as possible.
• Shane mentioned that he had a Hill Association meeting and would like to suggest to the members/business owners what to plant.
• A discussion ensued about what flower(s) to replace the Impatiens with and it was the consensus to plant Begonias. Claudine made a suggestion to use the Wave Petunias in sunny areas. Jim Farquhar was reached for a telephone conference and he suggested also including chartreuse and pink Coleus in between the Begonias at certain areas.
• After a thorough review of the Spring Planting Planning sheet for 2013, Lev will redo form and send it via email to all members and give to Jim for ordering. Planting needs to be done the week prior to Memorial Day.
• The 2013 Beautification Awards nominations Sign up was given to the members and distributed around the table. Lev to email completed form and email to all.
• The Beautification Commission was reminded to give a 2013 Beautification Award to the Peace Garden at Kerby School.
• Lev informed the members that a letter seeking new members was mailed the Beautification Award Winners for the years 2011 – 2012. To date, no one has responded to the letter.
• Lev will finalize job descriptions.
COMMITTEE REPORTS – TREE COMMITTEE
Claudine stated that she met Alec at Joy Bells and would like to fill the void left there. She also noticed that the plaques on the building need to be polished and there is a hole in the side of the building on the Moross side.
CITY REPORT – SHANE REESIDE
• Shane reviewed the Agenda of Business for the City Council Meeting held on April 15, 2013, stating that the Council approved a Site Plan Review and Zoning Board of Appeals for a new American House which will house approximately 83-88 occupants. Landscape plans were submitted and the City was reassured that the tree will not be taken down.
• Shane reviewed the Master Plan in order to finalize the holiday decoration plan.
• The Foundation pledged $200,000 to fund the Dog Park Expansion Plan on Moross. The Park will be attractive, with more traditional decoration and an excellent amenity to our residents and prospective residents. The Park will be more of a destination place rather than just a Dog Park. The Kroger parking lot will also be repaved and old lighting removed to make way for new lighting. The Dog Park will be open in the fall.
The Meeting was adjourned at 8:30 p.m.
THE NEXT BEAUTIFICATION MEETING WILL BE HELD ON TUESDAY, MAY 21, 2013 @ 7:00 P.M. @ AT CITY HALL IN THE COUNCIL CHAMBERS.
Pamela J. Baker
Executive Assistant/Deputy City Clerk