Basement Sewer Backups (June 2021)
The City experienced significant flooding during the early morning hours of Saturday, June 26th. It has been reported that the City received more than 6” of rainfall associated with this event and additional rainfall is forecasted over the weekend. Unlike significant flooding that occurred a decade ago, the Kerby Road Pump Station and City Infrastructure remained fully operational. However, it is apparent that the Fox Creek Enclosure, which is located downstream and transmits sewage to the Great Lakes Water Authority (GLWA) for treatment, filled to capacity and could not handle additional incoming storm water.
In addition to basement flooding, there is significant street flooding with submerged vehicles. Areas impacted are primarily in the Inland District between Ridge Road and Mack Ave.
Statement from city council regarding local flooding
The City Council has made an official statement regarding the local flooding. View the statement here.
Presentation to City Council at the June 28, 2021 Council Meeting. View the presentation here.
Presentation to City Council at the July 26, 2021 Council Meeting. View a video of the presentation here or view the slideshow presentation only.
The State of Michigan has compiled a list of resources residents who have experienced flooding can utilize.
apply for fema assistance
President Biden has declared that a major disaster exists in Wayne County, Michigan. To learn how to apply for individual assistance from FEMA click here.
As the clean-up and restoration continues, we want to remind residents that permits are required for the replacement of furnaces and hot water tanks. The permit process helps ensure the safety of residents and your homes. However, due to the extreme hardship so many residents are facing, the related permit fees will be waived for any replacements associated with the flooding event.
If you have already applied for a permit and paid the associated fees, a refund will automatically be issued to you. Please expect to receive you refund within 30 days.
previous notices to residents
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Flood Alert (06/26/2021 at 3:53 am)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Pier Park Closed Due to Flooding (06/26/2021 at 6:25 am)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Rain Event Update (06/26/2021 at 11:21 am)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Rain Event Update (06/28/2021)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Rubbish Collection Update (06/30/2021)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Rain Event Update (07/01/2021)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Letter from the Mayor Regarding the Rain Event (07/01/2021)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Rain Event Update (07/02/2021)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Rubbish Collection Update (07/03/2021)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Rubbish, Recycling and Yard Waste Collection Update (07/07/2021)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Rubbish, Yard Waste and Recycling Update for Thursday, July 8, 2021 (07/08/2021)
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) Visit (07/09/2021).
- City of Grosse Pointe Farms: FEMA Update (07/15/2021)